Sunday, January 13, 2008

Running goals for 2008

It's a good time to write down my running goals for 2008.  Putting these in writing should help me stay on task to realize them.

1. 2500 total miles for the year - Originally I thought running 3000 miles the year I turn 30 would be pretty cool, but then I did the math and realized that this would mean 250 miles a month.  That seems a bit much. 2500 miles for the year still averages out to slightly over 200 miles a month, which is more than I ran the last three months of 2007.  Seeing as I have never kept a running log for an entire year, a side goal is to just keep track of all of these miles.

2. Feel strong throughout a 100 - In all three of the hundreds I have run, somewhere around 10:00-11:00 PM I start to lose it and end up walking a lot of the rest.  I don't think I'll be able to run an entire hundred, but feeling strong in the dark like I did last weekend in Bandera is possible.  I haven't entered into a hundred yet but I'm considering running the Heartland 100.

3. Time goals - I don't have any time goals for specific races and since trail runs vary so much in difficulty a time goal is always secondary to feeling strong throughout the race.  But two overall time barriers I would like to break are 3 hours in a road marathon and 4 hours in a trail 50K.  Potential races: Andy Payne Memorial Marathon and El Scorcho 25K/50K.

4. 7 days / 7 50Ks - This might not happen this year as I already have a lot going on this summer (i.e. getting married) but I would like to push myself on a solo multiday long run sometime before we leave Oklahoma.

Running moment of the week: Trying to navigate the muddy jeep road around Lake Stanely-Draper without getting my shoes full of mud while tied to two dogs who could care less if their paws get muddy.

1/07 - 1/13
total miles: 23.6
time 3:15

YTD total miles: 95.6

1 comment:

Ryan V. said...

Hey, Matt -- good luck with you '08 goals. I plan to run Andy Payne again -- maybe I will see you out there. Also, I'm co-RD of El Scorcho. Registeration goes online Feb. 1. Be sure to sign up early, as we are using a tiered registration system. The 1st 150 people pay $65, the next 150 pay $75, and the last 100 pay $85. We are limited the field at 400.