Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Mock 3 Days

This weekend I ran a practice multi-day run. The actual milage was: Saturday 19.5, Sunday 28.4 and Monday 11.7 for a total of 59.6 miles. Here's a breakdown of each day:

Saturday: First of the mock "3 Days" and it was a great start to the training. I ran 19.5 miles out on the trails at Lake Thunderbird. It was a beautiful morning that started off pretty cold, but it quickly warmed up as the sun came out of the clouds and was 50 degrees by the time I was done. Luckily I left my winter hat in the car and took my visor instead. I could have left my big black gloves in the car too and taken my glove liners. I didn't have enough Gu and took cookies. See the "Running moment of the week" for the result of that action. I remembered to keep my pace slower than normal and felt pretty strong when I finished.

Sunday: For the second day of the mock "3 Days" I went out to Lake Stanely-Draper and ran two laps around the lake for 28.4 miles. The wind coming off the lake was brutal! Remembering how warm I was the day before, I went with the glove liners today instead of the big black gloves, big mistake! The first lap I basically kept blowing on my fingers to keep some dexterity in them. The temperatures dropped from the start and went down to 30 before the sun came out and started to warm things up again. First lap time: 1:57, second lap time: 2:10. I think with the cold temperatures I started a bit too quick to try and stay warm.

Monday: Last day of the mock "3 Days" and I ran a route around town. I felt pretty strong throughout, after a slow warm up. I would have had a faster time but I had to walk a lot on Jenkins from Timberdell down to 9 since I really needed to have a bathroom break.

Running moment of the week: I got mad skills and you know it. On Saturday's run, I didn't have enough Gu packets so I brought some Keebler Elves' double stuff cookies on my run at Lake Thunderbird. I put them into some cheap Target ziplock bags that are hard enough to open when you're not wearing gloves, holding a water bottle in your armpit and trail running. Go figure that a root found a hold on my toe and I went down face first. Awesome.

2/4 - 2/10
total miles: 80.4
time: 11:07

YTD miles: 323.8

No comments: