Monday, March 24, 2008

Sunday, March 16 - 20K - Day 3

At least it didn't rain on Saturday night. It didn't help my sleep though, it was too cold to go and sit in the creek after the 50 miles and my legs were really sore. I kept tossing and turning in my sleeping bag and never got comfortable.

With the race being so short, there were no drop bags and very limited aid on the course. I started with three Gus and a couple of bottles. I couldn't believe the start of the race. Everyone started out so fast! I was really struggling to keep up. Josh was ten minutes ahead of me and I knew that unless he completely collapsed there was no way I was going to pass him in total time. Also Paul, Matt and Ty were at least 50 minutes behind me so I knew that my second place was pretty much sealed. I still tried to run hard, but everyone kept passing me. I guess it shouldn't be too much of a surprise, on each of the previous days I didn't really start running fast until mile 27, with only 12 or so to go today, I knew I would never get warmed-up.

I finished in tenth place overall, sixth out of the stage runners in 2:08. My cumulative time over the three days was 16:30:28. Full results can be found here. Kudos to Josh and Ashley Nordell for taking the overall male and female.

Steve, his family and all of the volunteers did an amazing job putting on the race. The course was well marked (except for one turn on the 50 mile run), the aid stations well stocked with food, drink and smiling faces, the campground is well suited for an ultra and the terrain is gorgeous, hard and rugged. I definitely recommend it for any ultrarunner looking for a tough challenge in the Ozarks.



Running moment of the day: Finishing.

3/17 - 3/23
total miles: 21.3
time: 3:27

YTD miles: 638.9

No comments: