Monday, April 28, 2008

The Golden Shore



This last week I was in Palo Alto, California talking with a colleague. It was my first trip to the bay area in my adult life and my first ever trip to Palo Alto. Stanford put me up at a nice hotel in downtown Palo Alto and I was able to find time to go on some runs. My first run on Monday afternoon I ran around the "dish". I had heard from several people before I went to Stanford about this open space area behind the campus. It has a paved loop trail taking you around a satellite dish. On Monday evening there were lots of people using the trail. In areas like California where so many people exercise, people never acknowledge your presence, looking down and away from you as you pass and wave. After saying "hi" to the first dozen or so people I passed and not receiving one response, I gave up trying. The running community in Oklahoma is small and so friendly that everyone waves and smiles when we see another runner on the roads.

The next morning I had made some running arrangements with a friend from Utah who is now living in Palo Alto. He took me to some trails further behind the "dish" area. I really agree with his observation:

The problem with the open spaces in California is that they are all so formal.


Wednesday I went by myself up to the "dish" area again but took a different turn and ended up on a really busy two-lane road. It was jammed packed with commuters all heading into town. Every car I saw only had a single occupant. Argh... How much does gas need to cost before people start carpooling? I couldn't stop thinking about the John Denver song "Rocky Mountain High."

Now his life is full of wonder but his heart still knows some fear
Of a simple thing he cannot comprehend
Why they try to tear the mountains down to bring in a couple more
More people, more scars upon the land


California, eh? ... They can keep it, I'll take the red clay dirt anytime.

Running moment of the week: On Saturday morning I went for a run out at Lake Thunderbird. I didn't see a soul except for deer, rabbits, squirrels and a turtle. It's good to be home.

4/21 - 4/27
total miles: 61.1
time: 7:54

YTD miles: 914.1

No comments: