Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Sub 3:00 marathon?

Just a short entry this week, Gina and I leave tomorrow for SLC for our wedding this Saturday, May 17th. I'll post some pictures of the trip and wedding next week.

One of my long term running goals is to break 3 hours in the marathon. It's not a goal I try for often, I've only ran a single road marathon. This year I decided I run the Andy Payne marathon and go for a sub 3 hour time. I've been kind of half-assed about my training, throwing in some speed workouts and tempo runs but not giving up the trails. Last Saturday I went up to Lake Overholser in Oklahoma City where the race takes place. I was planning a confidence boosting 16 mile run consisting of two laps around the lake at sub 3 hour pace, but instead after going out too fast and having 20 MPH headwind on the back stretch I ended up barely coming in at the right time for the first lap and then had to stop and eat some humble pie.

Running moment of the week: I got some Injinji socks as a door prize at 3 Days of Syllamo and I love them. Since then I've got four more pairs and use them both on the trail and on the road. On Sunday, I discovered one of the unavoidable downfalls of toes socks - if you randomly grab two socks out of your sock drawer, you only have a 50% percent chance of grabbing both a left and a right foot. On Sunday, I was running the trails with two right feet.

5/5 - 5/11
total miles: 53.7
time: 6:53

YTD miles: 1042.8 <- broke a thousands miles!

1 comment:

jeff said...

Hey buddy, Loved the last few entries here. Glad to catch up on my "miling" tonight. You're so right on about Cali...can you believe I actually wanted to live there when I was a kid? I hope Arnold and his posse don't fall into the ocean anytime soon...and don't worry buddy, in no time flat you'll be kicking ass in your new age category. All those wet-behind-the-ears 29 year-olds will be looking at you going, "Damn that Okie can haul! And he knows all the pros and cons of running in our state, too. I just hope the shirt from this race fits him so his lazy ass bro from Alaska stops taking credit and scoring free beer for it." Love ya! Keep smiling...