Wednesday, May 12, 2010

"Don't you miss that?"

I came across a great passage in the current issue of Running Times (June 2010, issue 377) that I can really relate to, especially regarding my upcoming GAP run. It's a quote from a Q & A session with ultrarunning legend Charlie Engle.


Q: How do you inspire people about ultrarunning?

I spoke at a marathon recently and had people raise their hands based on how many they had run. It came down to one guy who had run 79. I asked him, "Is there any doubt in your mind you're going to finish tomorrow's race?" He said, "No, there's no doubt whatsoever." He said it with a certain amount of pride, and he should have. Then I asked him if he remebered his first marathon and if he was worried or concerned about being able to finish, and he said, "Absolutely. I was scared to death." And I asked, "Don't you miss that?" For me that feeling can only come from finding a new adventure, either from a longer distance or a course I'm intimidated by.

What are you missing?

1 comment:

Charlie said...

Nice. I am still new to running and having recently completed only my third marathon (which by 21 I was wondering if I'd finish) I still get the jitters when toeing the line. Barr Trail race in July is only 12 miles. But its 6 miles strait up and back down. I am anxious about that one. But it will be fun.