Friday, May 21, 2010

The long road ahead


Around 15 hours from now I will be starting on the trail taking me from Point State Park in Pittsburgh where the Allegheny and Monongahela meet to form the Ohio to the beginning of the C&O canal in Georgetown. The trial covers a distance of approximately 335 miles (although a little over 10 in Pittsburgh in not completed yet so I have to ride in the car for this stretch).

Seven days of about 46 miles a day. Am I nervous? Yeah. Am I excited? Definitely. I've spent the last two days packing, getting maps ready, shopping and putting the final touches to our plans. This is the part of ultras I don't like, sometimes I just wish I would put my shoes on, run out the door and just go. But it's not that simple, I need to bring things with me and Gina needs to meet up with me at certain places so we have to be sure that we have things coordinated.

You can find my itinerary here: GAP Itinerary, or I've highlighted it below:

  1. Pittsburgh --> Adelaide (46 miles)
  2. Adelaide --> Rockwood (48 miles)
  3. Rockwood --> Cumberland (44 miles)
  4. Cumberland --> Little Orleans (43 miles)
  5. Little Orleans --> Williamsport (41 miles)
  6. Williamsport --> Brunswick (45 miles)
  7. Brunswick --> Georgetown (55 miles)

1 comment:

Charlie said...

Good luck Matt. Should be a good run. I guess I need to change careers and be a prof. so I can do stuff like this without "asking off." Look forward to your posts along the way, or the post when your done.